Table of contents:
- Set component properties in a spatially resolved manner
- Advantages for the manufacturing process
- Advantages for the finished steel component
2023 Author: Hannah Pearcy | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-06-01 01:49
Household, infrastructure or industry: steel is an integral part of our lives. Modern steel materials only enable the production of many high-performance products in conjunction with advanced manufacturing technologies. For example, pressure rolling is used to manufacture stainless steel components for centrifuge or jet engines. A so-called metastable austenitic steel can be used to influence not only the external shape but also the properties of the metal through phase change.
Set component properties in a spatially resolved manner
The scientists at the University of Paderborn, the Technical University of Dortmund and the Fraunhofer Institute for Design Technology Mechatronics IEM are working on an intelligent pressure rolling process, with which manufacturers can precisely adjust the properties of their future components in a spatially resolved manner and thereby integrate valuable additional functions. For example, component states and processes can be monitored, or components can be identified clearly and tamper-proof.
Advantages for the manufacturing process
- Resource- saving : Forming processes manufacture parts without removing valuable material, such as B. happens during milling. Furthermore, the intelligent or controlled pressure rolling process has an influence on physical or mechanical properties such as B. the strength or hardness of the steel. The functionality is improved and manufacturers can save material or use it more specifically.
- Cost-effective: Until now, comparable functionality has been possible - if at all - through complex and expensive reworking or the use of additional components. Manufacturing within a control loop also makes it possible to improve component quality and reduce scrap.
Advantages for the finished steel component
Intelligent, tamper-proof steel components: With the intelligent pressure rollers, for example, a magnetic barcode can be integrated into the steel component. This externally invisible, clearly identifiable code enables counterfeit-proof products to be manufactured.
The project "Property-based control of hardening and phase transformation processes when pressing and pressure rolling metastable austenites" is funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG) with around 450,000 euros for an initial period of two years and is part of the priority program "Property-controlled forming processes" of the DFG. It supports a total of eleven research alliances with the aim of researching the scientific basis of the process-integrated property control of forming processes and to test and validate new approaches to property control.