Table of contents:
Video: Spray Against Boxwood Borer
2023 Author: Hannah Pearcy | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-06-01 01:49
If you don't want to touch the caterpillars (unfortunately, the small animals inside the boxwood are very badly caught with pliers), you can use a plant sprayer to fight the boxwood borer. In the case of a low infestation, no addition of spraying agents is necessary at all ! A hard jet of water with a garden hose or even better with a pressure washer is often enough to wash the caterpillars out of the boxwood. The pests can then be easily picked up, swept up and disposed of.
recognize cydalima perspectalis and fight
In the boxwood borer, it is the caterpillars of the butterfly that are up to mischief from April to October. They hatch from the underside of the leaf …
Which sprays against boxwood borer are suitable?
In the event of more severe infestation, a special spray against boxwood borer should be added to the water jet: Even mixed vegetable pesticides are generally less reliable than purchased products - homemade sprays can be used more often. Here we have put together a list of which spray agents against boxwood borer help to fight the pest.
1.) Biological spray against boxwood borer:
- Spray agents based on the Bacillus thuringiensis are well tested, safe to use and quick to use: The effect is based on the boxwood borer absorbing the bacteria contained in the spray agent and responding quickly. As a classic feeding poison, preparations with Bacillus thuringiensis should only be injected in warm weather (from approx. 15 ° C) when the caterpillars are particularly hungry. Practical tip: Only spray on days when there is no rain - otherwise the spray against boxwood borer will be rinsed off immediately!
- Neudorff caterpillar-free Xentari has also proven itself: the agent combats the boxwood borer purely biologically and is completely harmless for beneficial organisms, since the active substance must be eaten by the caterpillar. Inside the pest, the active ingredient attacks the intestinal wall of the European borer, which suddenly spoils his appetite for the green leaves of the boxwood.
- Traditionally, Neem sprays are also often used against the boxwood borer: These insecticidal sprays on a purely vegetable basis are mixed from Neem meal and rapeseed oil and also work well against other pests such as aphids and mealybugs.
- Spray agents containing azadirachtin also have a biological effect. The active ingredient is similar to neem oil, which is obtained from the seeds of the Niembaumes and is immediately fatal to many plant pests as soon as you come into contact with it (contact poison).
Prevent and combat diseases on the boxwood
So many diseases and pests are targeting the boxwood (buxus) that entire stocks are at risk. And seem constantly …
2.) Chemical spray agents against boxwood borer:
- The pest-free preparation Lizetan AZ changes the line between biological and chemical spray: its active ingredient is a technically modified component of the Niembaumes. The means to control the European boxwood borer is popular because it works quickly, only rarely needs to be used and is also not dangerous to bees.
- Insecticides that contain the active ingredient thiacloprid are less compatible with bees - but they are highly effective against the boxwood borer. Pesticides containing thiaclopride sells e.g. B. Bayer under the name Calypso pest-free.
- The insecticide acetamiprid works not only against the boxwood borer but also against almost all sucking and biting pests (also against aphids, whitefly or wool spinner). As the only spraying agent against boxwood borer presented here, it acts "systemically", which means that the active ingredient is absorbed by the plant and distributed by it to every plant cell. No matter where the pest nibbles on the plant, it picks up the insecticide and dies. Ingenious: This way, even the rain cannot wash away the active ingredient!
Use spray against boxwood borer
- If you have noticed an infection with boxwood borer (usually between April and July), you should treat the box with a plant protection agent that kills the voracious caterpillars.
- Mix the spray according to the manufacturer's instructions (see picture gallery above).
- Use a high-quality pressure sprayer that builds up sufficiently high pressure and sprays a fine mist of active substance for a long time.
- Now apply the spray against boxwood borer evenly over the infected plant.
- Practical tip: Since the Zünsler caterpillars can be found almost exclusively in the bare interior of the boxwood, you should also apply the spray directly there: So insert the spray lance deep into the box!
- Since sprays are only effective against the caterpillars (not the adult moths), you should repeat the sprays every 10-14 days.
Source: himself is the man 7/2019