Table of contents:
Video: Turn Wood
2023 Author: Hannah Pearcy | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-05-24 11:12
This is not least because of the creative potential of turning. But that also means that everyone does it differently. This catches the eye when you look through the stack of specialist books in our library, which - regardless of the level - deal with turning.
- Note the following points in advance: The step-by-step instructions show turning for right-handed people. Left-handed people turn the blade with their right hand and their left hand.
- Then you should never punch the blank in the lathe, but on the workbench, and always use a plastic hammer.
- When turning, you work with the roughing tube. However, if the blank has knots or splintered edges, use the parting tool.
- Adjust the tool rest as far as you have removed material. Their distance should be 1 to 2 mm to the rotating blank. The setting is particularly important for finishing, which incidentally takes place at higher to highest speed.
Instructions: Turn wood
As a rule, the highest and lowest point of a shape are marked when turning. If several turning forms follow each other, prepare a template, the highest and lowest places of which you transfer to the blank. At least 10 mm should remain at the ends so as not to collide with the driver tips.
more on the subject
- Turn round bar
- Turning & parting off
- Turn tip shape
- Turning the fillet
- Turn notch
- Turn half column
Use the compass when marking the fillet. Advantage: after the lowest point has been reached, the same distance can be marked on the left and right using the compass setting. With the round rod, remove the material with the roughing tube according to the steps to limit it on the left and right, before rounding the resulting ring with the shaped tube to the rod and finishing it with the turning tool. When working with the notch, first work your way from the side to the center with the small-notch turning tool before turning the actual notch from the center to the outside with the turning tool. Incidentally, the notch is the only form in which turning is also done uphill, i.e. from bottom to top.
The tip is tricky. When chamfering the ring, it is important that the legs are of the same length and straight. Decorative half-columns are best made from two halves using paper gluing of the blank. As a precaution, you should screw the blank onto a plate at both ends. When turning, take the length of the screws into account! Also keep in mind that when cutting the halves with a mallet, you need a minimum diameter if you don't want the shape to break.
Practical tip: Make the centering bracket yourself
Ideal for the hobby calculator: With a centering angle, you can reliably determine the center axis of a log. The specialist trade has models made of metal ready - but usually quite expensive fun! How to build your tool yourself from simple strips … In order to be able to determine the exact center of a log, you need a centering angle as a hobby calculator. You can get this steel tool from specialist retailers, but it is not cheap. If you want to save this money, you can also build a centering bracket from three strips.
Building a centering bracket:
- You place two strips (approx. 40 x 20 x 220 mm) at right angles against each other and screw them together.
- The diagonal bar is bevelled to 45 ° and placed approximately in the middle on one of the vertical bars.
- Now screw the diagonal bar twice from behind through the vertical bar into the cut edge.
Using a centering angle:
- To determine the central axis of a log, use the piece of wood
- press it firmly between the right-angled legs and against the diagonal bar.
- Turn the piece of wood in the centering angle and
- draw a line with the pencil along the diagonal bar on the end piece.
- The intersection of all lines is the center of the log.
- Do the same at the other end of the workpiece.
Source: himself is the man